My Fourteenth Birthday

Today was my fourteenth birthday. In the foreword of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, Anna Quindlen writes, "In its nearly five hundred pages, nothing much happens." She then goes on to describe why A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has become a classic. She writes that this beloved novel narrates "how life flows like a stream of a river from birth to death and marriage to bigamy." In my allusion to Betty Smith's most renowned novel, I endeavor to show the true meaning of those words and how I have realized the value of them even more on my birthday. The story is a sketch portraying that nothing is meant to happen in our lives and time is eternal. There is no plot to our life stories; only there are characters that come and go walking on the golden road to and fro. My birthday was filled with rapture and joy in its simplicity. I did nothing other than reading and writing, conversing with a few people, and eating cake. Even with parties, the same would have occurred. Nothing would have happened. As the people on the screen of our lives arrive and depart, the person experiencing all moments inside and outside us stays always in some form or the other. To conclude, I will share a poem I wrote in honor of my birthday. 

On a Birthday

O’er the land comes you this year. 

Another year has passed, I ween. 

Upon the glimpses of light, the dear day has arrived. 

Sunlight and shadow in your eyes; you stand on the hill afar, looking beyond as your birthday has seeped through the road. 

Amusement and laughter bounce with the cheer that waits. 


Comments

  1. Yes, I agree upon the quote you shared with your viewers. Happiness arrives with simplicity. Though sometimes, yearing touches our realms and we crave to get it. The littlest happiness which we had yesterday, was a treasure.
    As for your poem, it was a short, delightful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for making my birthday so special. Happiness is everywhere in every little thing. We yearn for realms seeming far from us until we are in possession of them. I quite enjoyed writing this poem and I wrote it very quickly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Literary Magazines for Young Writers to Submit

My poetry collection, The Unseen

Flash Fiction Story, The Day's End