Flash Fiction Story, The Day's End

 I often write long short stories that are easily longer than a thousand words and I have even written a novella that I am rather proud of. I have written quite a few messy drafts of novels when I was younger and I am currently brainstorming ideas for a novel-length manuscript that I could hopefully publish one day. Last year during the month of November in eighth grade, I wrote a flash fiction story, The Day's End for my Creative Writing Club where we were tasked in writing a short piece, which could turn out to be a story, poem, or essay based on a picture of a foggy city. While flash fiction stories may not have much substance because of their length, I am determined to continue writing in this genre. Flash fiction may sometimes feel more like a poem than a story. The microscopic piece of fiction created is usually less than four hundred words, but it can be a few words longer. The Day's End is a complex story about a character's interaction with her mind. 


The Day’s End


The polluted air swept around the corner of Sara’s eye. She strolled around the market. The blazing sun of the June afternoon irked her. The landscapes of 1999 Paris failed to keep her interest. In her journal, much of what seemed like poetry was:

The dry heat of this season swells upon me. 

What spells of it have I done?

The mere existence of this place struck me only yesterday.

It is a solitary cage for me, as I am captured and unsafe.

I am rendered unconscious. 

It serves no other purpose. 

This lovely place needs change


Sara finished with contemplate thoughts. Everyone asked her, “What are you thinking?” There was never any response from her. The evening passed with a turbulent night. There seemed as if there was no end to that day. 





 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Literary Magazines for Young Writers to Submit

My Bio Poem(Get to Know Me)