My Favorite Lucy Maud Montgomery Quotes

Lucy Maud Montgomery is one of my favorite authors and I am slowly finishing all of her short stories, poems, essays, novels, and journals. After reading Anne of Green Gables, I was completely enraptured by her writing and I went on to read The Story Girl and Magic for Marigold as well as her other works. Maud's lovely quotes are so actuating and full of vivacity in each word. Today, I will share some of my favorite Lucy Maud Montgomery quotes that delineate the beauties of life everywhere. 


1. "How jolly it was not to hate anybody anymore. Life and she were friends again."
  -Magic for Marigold

2. "I had, in my vivid imagination, a passport to fairyland."
        -The Alpine Path

3. "Keep your dream, little Marigold for as long as you can. A dream is an immortal thing. Time cannot kill it or age wither it. You may tire of reality but never of dreams. The dreamer's joy is worth the dreamer's pain."
-Magic for Marigold

4. "There is such a place as fairyland-but only a few, who remain children at heart, can ever find that fair, lost path again; and blessed are they above mortals. They can bring us tidings from that dear country where we once sojourned and must be evermore exiles. The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
-The Story Girl

 5. "It had always seemed to Emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and her hung only a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain quite aside- but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it and then it was as if she caught a glimpse of the enchanting realm beyond-only a glimpse and heard a note of unearthly music. 
-Emily of New Moon

6.  "Look at that sea, girls-all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds."
-Anne of Green Gables
7. "It has always seemed to me ever since early childhood, that amid all the commonplace of life, I was very near to a kingdom of ideal beauty. Between it and me hung only a thin veil. I could never draw it quite aside, but sometimes a wind fluttered it and I caught a glimpse of the enchanting realms beyond-only a glimpse-but those glimpses have always made life worthwhile."
-The Alpine Path

8. "If at thirteen you can write ten good lines, at twenty, you'll write ten times ten-if the gods are kind. I think there's something trying to speak through you- but you'll have to make yourself a fit instrument for it."
-Emily of New Moon

9. "Dear old world', she murmured, 'you are very lovely and I am glad to be alive in you."
-Anne  of Green Gables

10. "I love weaving stories and spinning it around with my pen."
-The Alpine Path

11. "Today, I counted the money I had earned all these years from my pen. It was quite a great deal of fortunes. Unfortunately, money does not buy happiness."
-Journals

12. "That is one good thing about this world-there are always sure to be more springs."
-Anne of Avonlea

13. "Once upon a time we all walked on the golden road. It was a fair highway, through the Land of Lost Delight; shadow and sunshine were blessedly mingled, and every turn and dip revealed a fresh charm to eager hearts and unspoiled eyes. On that road we heard the song of morning stars; we drank in fragrances aerial and sweet as a May mist; we were rich in gossamer fancies and iris hopes; our hearts sought and found the boon of dreams; the years waited beyond and they were very fair; life was a rose-lipped comrade with purple flowers dripping from her fingers. We may long have left the golden road behind, but its memories are the dearest of our eternal possessions; and those who cherish them as such may haply find a pleasure in the pages of this book, whose people are pilgrims on the golden road of youth."
-The Golden Road

14. "Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it."
-The Story Girl

15. "Human nature is always desirous of what one has not got!"
-The Alpine Path

16. "What is gold if love and good wishes count for anything?"
-"The Josephs' Christmas"

17. "Truly, we had a delectable summer; and having had it, it was ours forever. "The gods themselves cannot recall their gifts." They may rob us of our future and emitter our present, but our past they may not touch. With all its laughter and delight and glamour it is our eternal possession."
-The Story Girl

18. The Alpine Path, so hard, so steep, That leads to heights sublime."
-The Alpine Path

19. "We would reach the "far-off divine event" and look out thence to the aerial spires of our City of Fulfillment."
-The Alpine Path

20. "The daisies that dance and twinkle so Were the laughter of children in long ago."
-"Fancies"

21. "Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions. I am so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them- that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting."
-Anne of Green Gables

22. "If you don't believe things, you'll never have any fun. The more things you can believe the more interesting life is, as you say yourself. Too much incredulity makes it a poor thing."
-Magic for Marigold

23. "In a halo of rainbow glory, I sit me down to rest. I forget the present and future, I live over the past once more, As I see before me crowding the beautiful days of yore."
-"Evening Dreams"

24. "I heard a song across the sea. As sweet and faint as echoes are, And glimpsed a poignant happiness. No care of earth might mar. Dear God, our life is beautiful In every splendid gift it brings, But most I thank Thee humbly for the joy of little things."
-"The Little Things"

25. "Fear is the original sin. Almost all of the evil in the world has its origin in the fact that someone is afraid of something. It is a cold slimy serpent coiling about you. It is horrible to live with fear; and it is of all things degrading."
-The Blue Castle

26. "I didn't really remember that the sea was so blue and the roads so red and the wood nooks so wild and fairy haunted. Yes, the fairies still abide here. I vow I could find scores of them under the violets in Rainbow Valley."
-Rilla of Ingleside

27. "Fairyland is the loveliest word because it means everything the human heart desires."
-Journals

28. "There's no use trying to live other people's opinions. The only thing to do is live your own."
-Emily Climbs

Comments

  1. "Your writings are just like a colorful blossomed roses" ~ Adrika Mondal (your bosom friend)

    Lucy Maud Montgomery was a beautiful author with magical powers of words and imagination. She created few endearing characters, who will shine in the world literature. Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables will remain in everyones heart. Emily Byrd Starr of Emily Of New Moon will always teach the readers to strive for perfection. I ardently desire to dive into the world of Marigold's life by reading Magic for Marigold. Blue Castel is already waiting in my bookself to get reaad. The wonderful world of short stories which Maud created for the readers is also unforgettable.
    All these quotes which you shared with your viewers are the best quotations. You own a sublime taste of books. I am exceedingly raptured to recieve you as my chum. Heaps of love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful to have inherited my writing talent from Lucy Maud Montgomery. I love Anne Shirley, Sara Stanley, Emily Starr, Marigold Lesley, and all of her characters. I feel like the greatest message that Lucy Maud Montgomery so ardently expressed was to find the beauty everywhere and to know that love is the only truth. It is not even about striving for perfection, but we must see the alluring place we are so near. I love Maud's short stories too because of their simplicity. The Blue Castle was a banned book and it makes me even more interested to read it. However, the book is not best for young readers. I will read it eventually. Literature is sublime and I can be plunged to lovely worlds of rapture.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Literary Magazines for Young Writers to Submit

Flash Fiction Story, The Day's End

My Bio Poem(Get to Know Me)